CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

goes on and on, yes it does

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I don't know what to do about writing anymore. I can't write. Janet Burroway says that writers block doesn't exist. it's existence depends on fear. Fear of writing something that you want to , or perhaps need to write. I don't think that's it. I feel like Richard Madoc who's mind is so blank that he has to rape a muse (Calliope, the muse of epic poetry) in order to write anything at all... and of course it's good. except I don't have a muse to rape- nor would I rape her if I did.
I don't know what to do with the rest of my three days here. Time doesn't match up like it should. I should have started earlier- how did I know I was going to say that? I guess I should know myself by now.
I'm ready for this upcoming week- where I can get away from all of this crap work that I have to do, but somehow I know it will be worse as soon as I get back.
Janet tells me maybe I should re-evaluate my priorities. Maybe I should. Maybe I will. apparently my mother thinks I'm losing focus. that I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
In an email with the subject line "its not too late" Yakov sends me the latest entry in Stanley Fish's blog: "Will the Humanities save us?" and while i disagree innately with his arguement. I can't help but think that perhaps he is right. He says "To the question “of what use are the humanities?”, the only honest answer is none whatsoever" ( http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/will-the-humanities-save-us/). He continues to state that this answer "brings honor to the subject" i don't know. can I justify to myself something that has no use? I don't see any other way.

"...But where do you go to, my lovely? when you're alone in your bed.."

5 comments:

joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Rabah said...

can i start saying that in greeting?
A hug.

Rabah said...

write something, darnit
just because i went off to india and didn't talk to you for long stretches of time doesn't mean you can do the same to MEEEEEEEEE
misses

A HUG.

Epeuthutebetes said...

From a utilitarian or pragmatist point of view, yes, perhaps the humanities really are useless, as societies can just be engineered.

But to what purpose? Don't humanities need to exist for us to wrestle with these questions and to cultivate minds that are, as the term implies, humane?